Predicition: Sergio Pérez to Ferrari
After yesterday’s stellar performance in the Italian Grand Prix at Monza, starting at 12th and climbing to a 2nd place finish, there is no longer any doubt in my mind that Felipe Massa’s seat at Ferrari will go to Sergio “Checo” Pérez next season. Driving what is considered by most to be a strong midfield car, the Sauber F1, Pérez has put in some exciting performances this season which have not gone unnoticed by the good folks at Scuderia Ferrari.
The reason why this could be the most logical move is that Sergio is a member of the Ferrari Driver Academy, an initiative from the Italian team whereby it nurtures and grooms its own young talent. The fact that he is at Sauber F1, a team which uses Ferrari engines, is by no means a coincidence. Ferrari have had faith in Checo for quite some time, and he is now repaying that faith with strong performances and results.
A few highlights of his 2012 season have been:
- Australian Grand Prix – In the first race of the season, Pérez starts from 22nd place and ends the race in a strong 8th position.
- Malaysian Grand Prix – 2nd race of the season, he qualifies 9th and finishes 2nd, almost snatching the victory from Alonso.
- Monaco Grand Prix – Nothing to write home about, but Checo starts in 23rd position and manages to claw his way through to 11th. Not easy considering it’s on the tight streets of Monaco.
- Canadian Grand Prix – Starts in 15th position, yet manages to clinch his second podium finish of the season in 3rd place.
- Italian Grand Prix – Last but definitely not least, an outstanding drive sees young Checo finish in 2nd place; his second of the season.
It’s also worth noting that Sergio has 18 more points than the well-established Massa, as well as 30 more points than his teammate Kamui Kobayashi.
If the transition to Ferrari does happen, I’ll be the first to say: I told ya so!
[Image Source: Sporting Life]Explore posts in the same categories: F1, Racing comment below, or link to this permanent URL from your own site.